Name of the Project: "Ujaloon Ka Safar"
No. of MMHPP’s: 619 MMHPP’s to be constructed across KP
Location of the Project: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
Scope of MMHPP is to facilitate the access to electricity to remote villages and other off grid installations (schools and medical centres) by means of the use of renewable energies such as micro hydro and solar.
· Provision of Low cost, locally managed and environment friendly electricity.
· Optimum utilization of water resources available in the KP addressing energy needs of the rural population.
· To inculcate concept of self-reliance and self-help in the installation as well as operation and maintenance of plants.
· To promote economic activities in the backward areas.
Government of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has vision to provide mini micro hydropower solution to communities, homes, basic health units and schools to reduce burden on National Grid and to improve the environment conditions of the province. For the purpose, KP Govt. has assigned PEDO, Energy & Power Department to develop 619 mini micro hydropower projects in whole KP.
The project intends to utilize vast mini micro hydropower potential available on streams, rivers, or canals. Consequently, project is to promote cheap and affordable energy and to inculcate concept of self-reliance and self-help in the installation as well as operation and maintenance of these plants.
In the 1st phase of the above mentioned projects the government has completed the construction of 316 mini/micro hydropower projects (15KW to 500KW) in the northern districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
In the 2nd phase, PC-1 for the construction of additional 303 micro hydel projects (20KW to 1000KW) has been initiated.
Future Road Map
· KP Power Sector Roadmap has been developed and approved which comprises among others the development of mini and micro hydel projects and the solarisation of households in remote villages by means of PV Solar Plants.
· Availability of Low cost and stable electricity to the beneficiaries.
· Creation of Job opportunities for skilled and unskilled labour
· Provision of opportunities to local community towards enhancement of economic activities through establishment of small scale enterprises.
Sub pages links: